Friday, January 9, 2009

My Unexpected Life


After 4 years at UCSD, working several unpaid internships at the same time as regular jobs, I never expected to be in this situation after graduating. Job hunting is rarely an enjoyable task, but it has been especially hard this time around. I hate to think of myself as a victim of the broken economy, but that's where I'm at (and it's not an easy pill to swallow). At this point, I could either wallow in self-defeat or press on, so I'm choosing the latter. Being in this position has forced me to reevaluate what I really would like to do with my life. My whole life I have had in interest in home renovation and design. Once I started college, the idea was still there and I talked about if often, but I felt that it was more important to finish my degree from UCSD than to switch to a school where I could do interior design. Well, in the past few months Daryll and I have had the opportunity to do some research on design schools in the San Diego area and I will hopefully be starting a program in August at the Design Institute (barring acceptance)! I'm excited about even just the thought of going back to school to accomplish my dream. I'm also excited to be studying a subject that I am passionate about and that leads to a specific career set at it's culmination. However, I am a little bit nervous as well about going into a program that is 180 degrees different than what I did at UCSD. But overall more excited than nervous :-) I am so thankful that Daryll is 100% supportive and encouraging. What a true blessing! In the months leading up to the start of school I will be taking a few classes at Mesa College so that I don't have to take any G.E. classes at the Design Institute and hopefully finding at least a part-time job. Anyways, just wanted to catch you up on the latest and greatest. Also wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everybody who encouraged me to follow my dream.

p.s. Today's picture is of me and an old friend Kathy. We met up for lunch today and it was wonderful to see her :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

good for you!! We are behind you 100% too!!

Unknown said...

actually the above comment was from me, Andrea, not Don but I am sure he feels the same way I do.

The Floydster said...

Yea for you, Trish!! I'm giving some very serious prayer-time and consideration to becoming an international teacher of ESL in Korea. Ideally, I'd leave in April or May. You can read about it on my blog. Cool how God can turn worldly problems like the economy that has knocked the pins out from under both of us to a whole different path we may have only given day-dream time to, huh?