Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2009 Inauguration


I wasn't going to write a blog on the Inauguration since it's obviously everywhere right now, but then I got to thinking about my memory and how it tends to not be so great sometimes. And I know that I'd be kicking myself in 20 years when my kids are doing a project on former President Barack Obama and the only thing I can remember to tell them from the Inauguration is that Aretha Franklin was wearing a hat with a very big bow on it. (Yes, I was a politcal science major in college...) So, on that note, here are a few reflections I had on the day.

First, I thought it was wonderful how many former Presidents attended the Inauguration. In a time when the rest of the country seems to be pulling together, it is good to see that the solidarity can extend into the political field as well. Much of this Inauguration period seemed to be about bipartisanship, which is overdue and much welcomed. My own political beliefs have become more centered in recent years as well, and I like to believe that I extend a hand of tollerance in most situations.

I also appreciated how our new President gave America a call to action, and I am encouraged to see that people have actually been inspired to lend a hand and get out to volunteer. We shall see if this inspiration continues to carry people through the next several years (or months, or weeks...)

Overall, I believe that for the first time in a while people felt proud to be Americans and are excited about the new leadership and direction that the country could possibly be heading.

I was not able to attend the Inauguration, but today's picture is of Barack Obama taking the oath of office on my television (thanks to ABC news).

3 comments:

D Ray said...

Proud to be an American!

The Floydster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Floydster said...

Well written, Tricia! I think that's what kept me glued to the TV on the 20th. That sense of hope, joy and a collective desire to do better and be better people.