Monday, April 20, 2009

Blog Addict

How did it take me so long to discover this amazingly wonderful world of blogging? When I first started writing my blogs, I realized that I'd really been missing out the past several years. I definitely should have started blogging when I was in Ireland, if not before then. Think about all the memories that I would have recorded for the world at large to discover and embrace. Now, a mere 3 years later, I can hardly remember some of those things myself and, tragedy of all tragedies, they're lost on the world forever. Ahhhh, but alas! I have found blogging now and my enjoyable discoveries did not end when I started writing. Oh no, I have recently found out that my blogging enjoyment has just gotten started...there's still a whole mother lode of blogs out there that I have yet to read! I had no idea that reading such mundane things about normal people's lives could be so interesting. Not to mention all of the inspiring things people have blogged about (crafty ideas being my favorite). What do you think it is that makes blogs so riveting? What makes you come check my blog as part of your daily routine? And why do I incessantly check my dashboard to see if any of the blogs I follow have been updated in the five minutes since I last checked? My thoughts on it are because it makes us feel connected to something larger than our own lives. It gives us an opportunity to reach people who are otherwise unreachable and to share our own thoughts and ideas knowing that they will likely reach somebody who understands and feels the same way as us. Undoubtedly it is largely about connections...connections that are often hard to come by in our fast-paced and ever changing world and some connections that probably never would have occurred at all without the wonderful world of blogging. All of this begs the question: Why do I blog? Well, I can say that I blog for me and I blog for you. I blog for me because I realized that once I started writing I actually had things to say. It encourages me to think more and to utilize my post-college brain. It also gives me an opportunity to actually hash out some of the things that have been running through my mind. When I have a question/memory/moment of self-realization, I am much more likely to actually see it through and record it on my blog than through any other medium that I have tried. Also, I genuintely enjoy writing. I consider myself to have a rare and beautiful talent in this current society: the ability to construct a sentence, a paragraph, or something larger and actually make it sound literate (and hopefully something more exciting than literate). Secondly, I blog for you because I think that if you're anything like me, you look forward to seeing what I have written everyday, whether out of sheer boredom or a genuine interest in what I have written or what we are doing in our lives. I hope that my writing is often surprising, somewhat provocative, and only occasionally monotonous. I would love to hear why you guys do actually read my blog if you ever get the opportunity to let me know. Until next time, happy blogging. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Andrea said..i love to read about all the goings on in your household..because we live so far away and dont get to see you as much as i would like, the blog really does make me feel like I am a part of your household and i know what the two of you are up to, more or less. I look forward to reading it every morning before work and even read some a few times, like the recent one, to make sure i did not miss something! keep it up...

Brandon said...

it's a blog I can read at school and I like hearing's what up. My favorite blog is "DC Rainmaker" http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/ because

a) I literally met the dude in the bathroom line at the Oceanside 70.3 triathlon and then when I got home and searched for "Oceanside 70.3" his was the first blog that popped up... weird.
B) his race reports and training schedule are amazingly detailed and very interesting to read.
c) he often comments on my blog as well... even if it's a boring post!

... in general i struggle with blogging because i'm already addicted to facebook status updates (i recently disabled some notification features on my phone so it's not beeping every few minutes anymore) and in general keep my head pretty low when i'm working on something... which is 80% of the year :-)

ok, back to working on teacher stuff!