Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Action

December 13 – Action When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)

Did anybody else just shudder, because I did. Ideas? I've got plenty. Actions? There I go shuddering again.

Taking actions requires you to consider that failure is an option. Maybe not complete and utter failure, maybe just a tiny setback failure along the way. It doesn't make any difference to me. I'm terrified of it. Failure. It is precisely for this fear of failure that my potential has not been reached. I often feel a greater longing, a sense that there should be a deeper meaning for my life. I must have a greater purpose than this. Seriously.

About 2 months ago I sent out an status update on facebook. One line, a feeler if you will. One line that made me vulnerable. One line that pushed me forward one step. One line that could lead to failure. "I want to shoot some portfolio building family portraits... anybody interested in getting some free pictures?" The response was overwhelming and I have since shot and edited 6 different families pictures. I am delighted by the pictures. Every set I take becomes my new favorite. But I'm also my own greatest critic. Yes, I love them. They could be better. I'm still learning. I need more knowledge before I can launch myself into a business. I am hungry for knowledge. Knowledge is safety. Why would I leave the learning stage when it's so safe.

But I don't know if I even want to become a photographer. Or what else I want to do. I have a commitment problem. And a self-depreciating complex.
 So my next step? Make a decision! Are you going to spend your life thinking "what if", or are you going to live it the way you want? In the words of Switchfoot: This is your life, are you who you want to be?


p.s. I'd love to know who's reading these blog posts. I've been writing about some pretty personal stuff for a public blog... If you're reading this can you drop me a comment and let me know? Thanks!

2 comments:

Darylld said...

GREAT COLLAGE!!

Unknown said...

actually Andrea said...I have been really enjoying seeing your pics and hearing about you and what you think about yourself and what you hope to do in the future...thanks for sharing your personal feelings so openly...