Sunday, September 27, 2009

New Challenge

Daryll and I were enjoying a lovely evening out at our favorite little Italian restaurant on Friday night (after we burned the biscuits and decided that the leftover chicken looked like cat food), when I brought up the idea of creating a 90 day challenge for ourselves. I had put some previous thought into this and announced that for the next 90 days I'm not going to repeat a meal for dinner at the Dorman household. If you're a long-time follower of my blog, you'll know that this is indeed a challenge for Marie Calendar's chicken pot pie lovers such as ourselves. But you'll also know that I love to cook and have a bazillion cookbooks. Sooo, we'll see how many new meals I can cook before new years (yes, that is about 90 days away...yikes!). I know that it won't be 90 meals because of leftovers and what not, but I still think it will be a good challenge! Tonight was the first night of the challenge and I made Summer Chicken and Mushroom Pasta. Daryll and I both stepped out of our comfort zone a bit and at least tried a cherry tomato that was part of the dish. (I didn't think the cooked tomatoes tasted too bad, but Daryll proceeded to turn green and chug his glass of milk to mask the taste.)

We had a nice weekend of culture, family, and of course football. Yesterday Daryll and I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art with our free Museum Day pass. I wouldn't say that I exactly recommend the museum. In fact, my favorite part was looking out the large windows at the ocean. But hey, at least we tried it. Yep, we're cultured... Last night we ventured to Redlands for my cousin's belated graduation party. We enjoyed catching up with family that we hadn't seen in a while, and Daryll enjoyed swimming in the pool. (Pictures coming soon.) When we got home poor Ella was coughing like crazy. We're not sure what's she's sick with, but it makes us sad to see her miserable! Hopefully she'll be better soon! This morning we headed to church and then came home with the intention of fixing up some things around the house. Welllll....Daryll found out that Boller was playing for the injured Bulger, so we had to find a place to watch the game. The bad news is that the Rams lost anyways. The good news is that Boller threw 2 td passes (that's more td's in one game than the team has this entire season). All in all, not a bad weekend at all! And tonight's the season premier of Desperate Housewives, so the good times keep getting better!! :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

we look forward to hearing about all of your new recipes and how many of them you would make again!!

Unknown said...

So, someone suggested to me that it's OK to write on the recipes in my cookbooks. For some reason I always thought it was taboo to deface the glossy white pages. Turns out it's a great way to remember which recipes I want to make again. You can also make notes to remind yourself about what to change the next time you make a dish. This might help you guys keep track of what you liked after you've eaten 90 different dishes. Hope the cooking challenge turns out well!