Friday, February 19, 2010

Violated.

I really can't believe what happened earlier today. I'm sitting here feeling violated and saddened, yet grateful that it wasn't any worse.

When I came home around 1:30 this afternoon, I was a little surprised to see that the front door was unlocked and that the dogs were out of the kitchen. Hmmm, I though to myself, Daryll must have come home and left the dogs out and forgotten to lock the front door back up (all things which he has been known on occasion to do). I gave him a call to check, but he didn't answer so I flopped down on the couch with the puppies for a while. When Daryll called back half an hour or so later, I asked if he'd been home earlier. He said no. I said, are you sure? And he said yes, he hadn't been home. I said someone's been in our house. Heart dropping. I started looking around and noticed that the back slider door was opened up. Panic started setting in. I started scouring the downstairs and discovered that my old computer was missing. And my camera. My good camera. That I love. I couldn't believe it. I called Daryll back and told him to get home immediately. Then I went to talk to the neighbor's house to ask him if he'd seen anything suspicious. The police came and took a report and I don't expect that I'll get my things back. But I also know that we are incredibly lucky that only those 2 possessions were taken from us. The more I think about it, the more things I think that could have been way worse. It could have been my new computer. I could have procrastinated and not moved my pictures and everything else off of my computer and onto my hard drive last week. They could have taken a lot more things. I could have come home in the middle of the theft. The dogs could have escaped. Or, or, or... So yes, I am thankful. And I am also angry. I can't believe that somebody would have the audacity to break into my house and take my things. In broad daylight. And I'm sad. I miss my camera already.

0 comments: